Serial number is invalid error message is displayed when you activate a product as a standalone license.
There are several reasons this message may appear during an activation:
- The serial number is a network license rather then a standalone license.
- The serial number has been upgraded to a new release. (Active subscription contracts have previous version benefits, so this does not apply to them.)
- The product has been upgraded to a different product. (This can also happen if you have an active subscription contract. Please check the previous version eligibility list. )
- The product has been returned through a reseller or the online store.
- The Desktop Subscription license has lapsed or been canceled.
- The serial number is not registered.
- The product is part of a suite and you are not using the serial number and product key for the suite.
Follow these steps to obtain assistance:
Check with your IT team
- Check with your company to see if they have designated someone to be in charge of the software management. Most of the time the IT team has this role or function.
- Many companies have an IT team in charge of software installation and activation. Contact your IT team for assistance. The IT team can check their records to see if the serial number you want to use should still be used or if you can use a different serial number or version.
- If your company does not have a dedicated IT team, check with your office manager. Some office managers take care of the software as well.
Products with Subscription
If you are a Subscription customer, ask your Contract Manager or Software Coordinator to log into the subscription center to verify deployment and/or if it is on the previous version eligibility list for use. They can then contact Autodesk on your behalf, if needed.
How to locate your contract manger in Subscription Center
Products within a Suite
When you install components of a suite, but sure to use the suite serial number and product key to activate the individual products. For example, if you have Building Design Suite/ Revit Architecture Suite and just want to activate AutoCAD, use the serial number and product key provided for the suite.
You can find answers or gain access to more specific help be responding to a series of questions.
- Go to knowledge.autodesk.contactus.
You can also click the Need Assistance button on any support article.
- Fill in the form by selecting these options:
- What can we Help you with? Registration and Activation
- Select a topic: Activating a Product
- Select a topic: Serial Numbers and Product Keys
- If the answer to your question is not contained in the displayed links, and you want additional assistance, click the I Still Need Help button to display additional options.
- Click one of the following buttons at the bottom of the page:
- Chat - Converse with a support agent using instant messaging.
- Ask for Assistance - Fill in a form requesting "Registration or activation of a product." Be sure to provide information about how we can contact you. You can attach screen shot files such as jpg, tif, png or a Word document to explain your problem.
- Community - Post your question and get information from the Installation and Licensing forum.
Self-service registration and activation
All our products are automatically registered with Autodesk during the first install and activation through the internet. If this is not the first time your product has been activated or used, the software has already been registered with Autodesk and cannot be registered again.
If the computer on which you will install and use the software has no internet connection, follow these steps on a computer that has an internet connection to register and obtain an activation code.
- Review the link How to Activate and Register Autodesk Software.
- Go to Activation and registration sign in site/link.
- Create an account if your company does not already have one. Otherwise, log in with your user ID and password to register and get the activation code.
Products: AutoCAD;AutoCAD Architecture;AutoCAD Civil 3D;AutoCAD Design Suite;AutoCAD Electrical;AutoCAD for Mac;AutoCAD Inventor Suite;AutoCAD LT;AutoCAD LT for Mac;AutoCAD Map 3D;AutoCAD Mechanical;AutoCAD MEP;AutoCAD P&ID;AutoCAD Raster Design;AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite;AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite;AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite;Autodesk 3ds Max;3ds Max Design;Alias Automotive;Alias Surface;Building Design Suite;Factory Design Suite;Infrastructure Design Suite;Infrastructure Map Server;Infrastructure Modeler;Inventor;Inventor LT;Inventor Publisher;Maya;MotionBuilder;Mudbox;Navisworks Manage;Navisworks Simulate;Plant Design Suite;Product Design Suite;Quantity Takeoff;Revit Architecture;Revit MEP;Showcase;Simulation CFD;Simulation Mechanical;Autodesk Simulation Moldflow;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Premium;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Standard;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Ultimate;Simulation Moldflow Insight Premium;Simulation Moldflow Insight Standard;Simulation Moldflow Insight Ultimate;Simulation Moldflow Synergy;Sketchbook Designer;Smoke;Softimage;Vault;mental ray