Issue: You want to change the server that hosts the license file and point clients to the new server.
Set up the license server on the new hardware
Quick Start: Setting up a license server on Mac
Quick Start: Setting up a licensing server on Linux
- See: Quick Start: Setting up a license server on Windows
- You will need a new license file because the license files are bound by Mac address and cannot be transferred from system to system. You can generate your network license file online via the link below:
- Next, point all your clients from the old server to the new.
Point the clients to the new server
Option 1: Update Licpath.lic files
This is the file that tells the product where to find the license server. Typically, that file is found in every Autodesk program's root folder (for example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\"Product" 2013\).
- Open the Licpath.lic file in Notepad and you will see what server the software is trying to pull the license from.The formatting will be something like:
"Server Servername XXXXXXXXXXXX"
- Update the "Servername" text to the correct server name and save the file.
- Copy that file to any other effected machines and programs so that they point to the correct server.
Option 2: Use the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable.
- Setting this environmental variable on a system will override the Licpath.lic files and direct all Autodesk software on a system to a specified server.
See: How to specify license servers using the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable
Retire the old server
Once all the clients are getting their license from the new server you can safely retire the old server.
Products: AutoCAD;AutoCAD Civil 3D;Inventor;Revit;Simulation CFD