Issue: You need to find the serial number and product key required to install and activate your Autodesk software.
For a quick reference of the product keys used by supported Autodesk products, please refer to the following solutions:
Note: Please ensure you are using the correct product key for the Autodesk product and version you are installing. Entering an incorrect product key will result in activation errors for that product.
Depending on how you obtained your product, your serial number and product key can be found in the following locations:
If you’re a Software Coordinator or Contract Manager for your Subscription Center account, the easiest way to find your serial number and product key is on the Software Download page in Subscription Center.
For complete instructions, please refer to the solution, How to find your serial number and product key in Subscription Center.
If you're a member of the Autodesk Education Community, there are several ways to obtain your serial number and product key.
During product download:
The serial number and product key are displayed as you download the product, prior to choosing your download method. You can also retrieve the serial number and product key later by again completing the product information on the download page.
From the download email:
After you specify which software to download, you'll receive an email containing your serial number and product key.
Note: This email is sent to the email address used to register for the Education Community. If you haven't received it within a few hours, check your Spam folder. If necessary, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email program's safe senders list.
After you download the software:
After you sign in to the Education Community website, you can find your serial number by following these steps:
- Click My Account in the blue box on the right side of ths screen.
- At the top of the screen, click Account.
- On the left side of the screen, click Products. Then click Download Products.
- On the Content Type drop-down menu, click Serial Number to display the corresponding Serial Number and Product Key.
Autodesk Online Store
If you ordered your product using the online Autodesk store, the location of your serial number and product key will depend on the type of software license you ordered.
- Perpetual License: You will receive your serial number and product key via email or on the physical product box.
- Maintenance and Desktop Subscription: Some Desktop Subscription software requires you to be online and sign in using your Autodesk ID to activate your software and no Serial Number or Product Key is required. If your Subscription software requires a Serial Number and Product Key for activation, sign in to your Autodesk Account and locate your software in the list of Products & Services. See How to find your serial number and product key in your Autodesk Account for more information.
If you have physical media (a DVD or USB key) for a 2013 or earlier product, your serial number and product key will be printed on the label of the product packaging.
Note: Starting with the 2014 product releases, this information will no longer be printed on the product packaging.
Note: This example shows the label from an Autodesk Education Master Suite for 2011 but the location and format will be similar for 2010 - 2013 product releases.
If you can't locate your serial number and product key using the above methods:
- Using your installation media, (USB key, DVD, download folder, etc.) navigate to the location of the setup.exe file for your Autodesk product.
- In that folder, look for a file named MID.txt, MID01.txt, MID02.txt or some variation on that name.
- Open this file in notepad and verify that the product name is what you expected it to be.
- The first five characters of the part number should also be the product key for that product.
Product Name: Autodesk Design Suite Ultimate 2012
Platform: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Part Number: 769D1-05Y001-P503E, 769D1-05Y001-P504E
Products: AutoCAD;AutoCAD Architecture;AutoCAD Civil;AutoCAD Civil 3D;AutoCAD Electrical;AutoCAD LT;AutoCAD Map 3D;AutoCAD Mechanical;AutoCAD MEP;AutoCAD P&ID;AutoCAD Plant 3D;AutoCAD Raster Design;AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite;AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite;AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite;AutoCAD Structural Detailing;3ds Max Design;Ecotect Analysis;Inventor;Inventor LT;Inventor Professional;MapGuide Enterprise;MapGuide Studio;Maya;MotionBuilder;Mudbox;Navisworks Manage;Navisworks Review;Navisworks Simulate;Product Design Suite;Productstream;Productstream Professional;Productstream Professional Easy;Quantity Takeoff;Revit Architecture;Revit MEP;Revit Structure;Robot Structural Analysis;Showcase;Simulation Mechanical;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Premium;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Standard;Simulation Moldflow Adviser Ultimate;Simulation Moldflow CAD Doctor;Simulation Moldflow DL for CATIA V5;Simulation Moldflow DL for Parasolid;Simulation Moldflow DL for Pro/ENGINEER;Simulation Moldflow Insight Premium;Simulation Moldflow Insight Standard;Simulation Moldflow Insight Ultimate;Simulation Moldflow Synergy;Softimage;Topobase Client;Topobase Web;Vault Collaboration;3ds Max;AutoCAD ecscad;AutoCAD Inventor LT Suite;AutoCAD LT Civil Suite;3ds Max Entertainment Creation Suite;3ds Max Real-Time Animation Suite;Education Master Suite;Face Robot Designer;Maya Entertainment Creation Suite;Opticore Studio Professional;Showcase Professional;Softimage Advanced;Toxik